17 June 2011

Women Peacemakers & the MCC Blog

Our office has just started a new blog all about MCC's work in Cambodia. You can check it out here.

A few days ago I (amanda) posted a story about the work about Women Peacemakers (WPM), one of the organizations I work with here. Here is a re-post of that blog post.

(but you should still totally check out the real blog! www.cambodiamcc.wordpress.com)


Women Peacemakers

According to Mr. Khay Yon, before he started attending workshops with Women Peacemakers (WPM), his family was in serious trouble. “I was a violent person, I used to drink alcohol every day. After I drank, I would beat my wife…. I was a cruel person. Sometimes I wouldn’t allow my children to go to school and I quarreled with my family very often.”

Mr. Yon is from a remote, rural village in Kampong Cham province in eastern Cambodia. In 2007, WPM began working in Mr. Yon’s commune hosting trainings on Women and Children’s Rights and Conflict Management. Mr. Khay Yon attended the Women and Children’s Rights workshop and his attitudes and behaviors were transformed. When asked about the impact of the training, Mr. Yon responded that “After the WPM workshops I recognized that my bad behavior was affecting my family’s health and emotional wellbeing, as well as harming my children’s growth and their futures. I decided to change my behavior and now allow my children to go to school and use more peaceful ways of communication with my wife, children, and community to avoid conflict and violence.”

WPM works to empower rural communities to reduce violence and protect the rights of women and children. They are working towards a vision of a Cambodian society that is charactierized by peace and justice where all are accepting of one another and lead lives of integrity.

As it works towards these aims, WPM hosts trainings in rural areas focusing on Women and Children’s Rights and Community Conflict Management. Participants from these trainings then organize into community network groups to serve as a resource to help resolve conflicts in their own communities.

In addition, WPM hosts trainings for university students in the capital city of Phnom Penh. These trainings focus on Cambodia’s criminal and civil law, specifically relating to gender issues, marriage, divorce, domestic violence, sexual violence, and human trafficking. The university students are then empowered to host workshops at high schools in the provinces surrounding Phnom Penh to transfer their knowledge.

WPM also hosts celebration events in rural Cambodia commemorating holidays such as Human Rights Day, International Peace Day, and International Women’s Day.

MCC has been partnering with WPM since they 2003 when they first became a registered NGO. MCC provides financial funding as well as advisor support.

Posted in Peace | Tagged | 2 Comments

1 comments:

Claire said...

You have an informative blog. I’ve learned something from it. I do have mine too www.claire-fernandez.blogspot.com... Thanks