18 May 2010

yup, we drank coffee that had been through the digestive system of an animal [luwak coffee]

one of the unexpected & fun events during our recent trip to bali was a visit to a balinese coffee plantation & the opportunity to try some luwak coffee.

luwak coffee is the most expensive coffee in the world (from $50-$600/pound!). it is a delicacy because it is first eaten by a weasel like cat animal (the Asian Palm Civet, to be precise). these guys only like the tastiest & most delicate coffee berries. when they've digested them, they poop out the coffee seeds & somewhere along the line of history, someone figured out that these coffee beans make one delicious cup of coffee!


luwak coffee

the review? it was a good cup of coffee (actually we shared it among four people because $3.50 for a sampler size seemed steep!), smooth & flavourful. but if you had served it to me in your kitchen, i wouldn't have identified it as the most expensive coffee in the world.

in the end, its for the best, though, because there probably isn't room in my budget for a luwak coffee addiction anyway...

2 comments:

Enjoy the Little Things said...

You are brave young people - I am not sure I could do it. Luckily it wasn't GREAT so it won't tempt you over and over at that price.

Hannah said...

I think I'd just be happy with a cup of cold fungus water drink myself. Yum...
Hannah