10 March 2010

Human Rights Day



In December I got to spend my birthday at a Women Peacemakers Human Rights Day rally in Kompong Cham province. I even had the chance to give a small speech on MCC's behalf, which was nerve-wracking & fun. It was a great birthday trip involving a typically confusing route & the requisite wall of speakers blaring random music (i wanna make love, nah, nah, nah, nah, nah) & a ride in a Toyoto Corolla with five people + Daniel & I + nearly 100 helium filled balloons with the windows shut (for air conditioning!) + the driver's face probably 6 inches from the windshield due to all the balloons. We concluded it was probably one of our safer car rides, given all the balloons cushioning us in every direction!

We felt really privileged to be part of such a great event, among such energetic people gathering to celebrate human rights & to promote peace.

3 comments:

ZackRock said...

I'm really glad to see the universal right to a massive wall of amps is being observed. I know Dan is the Gandhi of that particular issue.

Also, did anyone videotape your speech? Could you guys post that?

amanda + daniel said...

you would have loved it zack, there was no electricity so they brought a huge generator on a truck to power the speakers, but then the generator was too loud, so the music had to be even louder & on it went...

Corners of My Life said...

Was it helium that made you sleep during that ride? Maybe that's what I need when I have my sleepless nights.