5 January 2010

neum buuy howie? [rice]

rice is the main staple of the cambodian diet & a very important part of the culture. in fact, in the cambodian language the word meaning "to eat", literally means "to eat rice". a common greeting translates literally as "have you eaten rice yet today?" the khmer language has over 100 words for rice! (at different stages in the harvesting process).


cambodian people generally eat rice three times a day, at most every meal, & in quantities that seem unbelievable, especially given how small cambodian people are! for cambodians, it is simply not a meal if there is no rice. our language teacher told us once that at his son's birthday party they all ate pizza, but since pizza is only "snack" food, not real food, they all ate big bowls of plain rice to complete the meal.

on a recent trip to prey veng province (where the other half of our mcc team lives & works) we were out for a bicycle ride & met some local villagers who kindly showed us how to harvest rice.

[fun for a short while, but we won't be giving up our day jobs anytime soon!]

* pictures by marcelo & daniel

5 comments:

Amber said...

I love these pictures.

Corners of My Life said...

The adventures you have will fill a book some day.

Shelley said...

I was planning to go to Cambodia, but then I realized how overwhelmed I've been with traveling, school, and conferences. I'm going to stay here near Chiang Mai for the next week or so. I'll let you know if I wander your way!

Anonymous said...

Amiable post and this fill someone in on helped me alot in my college assignement. Say thank you you on your information.

Christine said...

Hello, from the state of Washington!
I agree with your mom, you should write a book! Your pictures are beautiful and some are pretty funny (offering a coke to the statue).