14 August 2007

boston

daniel & i spent the past four days visiting boston. daniel was attending a conference on community gardening & i spent the days wandering around boston (where i spent a summer while in college) & visiting with my college roommate, katie.

(by the way, she has a new cd out called "firecracker" & is setting off on a tour in the fall [brooklyn & martha's vineyard], she's great, check her out by clicking on the picture)

i spent two leisurely mornings in coffee shops reading anne lamott's newest book- grace (eventually) : thoughts on faith. i loved it.

some favorite excerpts...

'the Spirit lifted me & now it holds on lightly, like my faither's hands around my ankles when i used to ride on his shoulders.'
&
'sometimes grace works like water wings when you feel you are sinking'.

&
'no matter how much of our time is spent in the pursuit of physical beauty, even to great success, the Mirror on the Wall will always say, "Snow White lives", & this is in fact a lie-Snow White is a fairy tale. lies cannot nourish or protect you. only freedom from fear, freedom from lies, can make us beautiful & keep us safe. there is a line i try to live by, spoken at the end of each vedanta service: "and may the free make others free".'

3 comments:

nateshorb said...

holy moly, katie chastain is a rock star, and a good one at that. this is good news.

Veronica said...

I was debating whether to dig into yet more Lamott -- you have convinced me!

heidi said...

Amanda, My dad just read that Anne Lamott book and I am on the library waiting list for it. You made me more excited to read it! Hope you are well!